Note by Katrin Verclas:
Take Aways from the conversations at the Mobile Cafe:
- Make common ground â€” lots of small projects that should start sharing
- Mobile bill of rights â€” that all countries should adhere to
- Mobile voice â€” voice mail and the importance of oral culture â€” where does this fit in and who is working on this?
- Who pays for services/pricing schemes â€” to move projects to scale
- Why should operators care for the social sector?
- Access and penetration and coverage are the key issues for our table â€” the need for common regulation/networks and operators on board
- Funding of technology â€” could there be collaboration between NGOs and funders? How about the role of tech companies in this space?
- Open platforms and open standards and open content â€” Open Mobile, Open Rosa and sharing content
- Very different perspectives and a continuum of needs of groups â€” is there too much emphasis on higher end solutions? How about the bottom billion?
- We need to be able to coordinate and communicate 365
- Sustainability â€” we are trying to put a lot of pilots into place but scaling is hard
- We need to start thinking about repurposing the apps across sectors â€” are there examples and models? What is sustainable innovation that take that into consideration as well as local ingenuity?
- We do need a social advocacy group of some sort that advocates for the needs of the social sector with operators to affect regulation and cost issues